Friday, March 2, 2012

Los Educados

There is a place in Madrid I particularly like to go. Its great for all times of day- but the sunset is the best. Its more or less a cliff, facing West, overlooking the river, and its a large park with benches and grass and lots of people. Its called Parque de Las Montanas.
There is also an 'Egyptian' temple there. At least a mimic of one. I've never gone inside the actual museum part of it, but just the shallow pool lit but the last minutes of golden sunshine is a sight worth paying for. It reminds me a little bit of the reflection pool in Boston now that I think about it.
This place is great for all occasions. One can go there to read and relax alone. Maybe with a significant other for the sunset. With some friends to sit and play cards. Or even with you mom when she's visiting (yay!) Its very versatile. 
The other night I was there, yes with my mom, and also with my friends. We sat on the grass for awhile, watch the sun slowly melt into the horizon, cherishing those mystically hypnotizing moments. When the spell was broken we began to walk home. 
Passing by a bench we all immediately caught the sight of an older Spanish man sitting upright, well-dressed, on a park bench. It was only a 'sight' because of his three dogs sitting equally postured next to him. The most well behaved dogs I have ever seen. Sitting peacefully, respectfully, backs straight, just looking at the world around them, taking it all in. 
We couldn't believe it. 
Que educados! I said to the man- a word I had been saying to use since i learned it in Spanish class the other day. It means well-behaved, educated, polite... You get the idea. 
So the conversation was sparked and he told us that the dog in the middle was the mother, and the two on either side were her daughters. My sentimental mother (redundant terms I suppose) was immediately touched. 
"Tell him I'm your mom!" she said to me.
So embarrassing- but thats how it goes with mothers these days. So I told the man she was my mother, although I'm sure he had inferred that awhile ago. 
Just goes to show you can find anything in Madrid- including little dogs better behaved than some adult humans. 
And for those of you who find yourself here in Madrid, I strongly encourage a trip to Parque de Las Montanas. 

1 comment:

  1. It was my greatest pleasure to be with you and friends for this sunset, and to have embarrassed you so many times during the week! Thanks for playing along :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete