Friday, March 2, 2012

Big Ears

Last semester I took an introductory class on the European Union- a term I had heard often, but didn't really know much about. If you ask our Professor, the kids who took that class now know more about the union than many, and indeed most, Europeans.
A key concept we discussed was that of identity- how do you define and identify yourself? This is a huge component to European success and cohesion because if people don't feel European, they won't act European- they'll act in a way which benefits their country first. European identity had been doing quite well before the global economic crisis, but its harder to be so open-minded and accepting of foreign cultures in a recession. Money in your pocket tends to make you more idealistic.
So today waiting for a bus ride home from Toledo I met a couple on holiday from Holland. Of course I had to ask about their perception of the Union and how European they feel. Their answer was that they feel 'reasonably' European, but counterintuitively, they feel more European during the crisis because they feel like they have to prove the strength and cohesion of Europe as a whole. An interesting and rare opinion, especially from Northern European countries which tend to be net lenders of money, not receivers.
We went on to talk the whole bus ride back from Toledo- I'm sure the other people on the bus despised us and our invasive English. But we talked about work, politics, travel- the whole deal. The man turns out to be a teacher for people with learning disabilities- a hard job. He is a tall man, and I couldn't help but notice his ears were even big on him. On me they may have reached my shoulders. He went on to tell me his secret of teaching. He listens. Speaks as little as possible. Thus, he learns a lot through teaching.
I guess that's why he has such big ears.
As we were parting ways he gave me some good advice. In my studies, he said, I should talk to the people on the street as much as possible- often times they have more insight, despite less formal education, than the politicians and rulers. He told me that I would learn a lot more this way. And of this he is a prime example.
Its a good day when you learn something. One of those days that gives you a little more faith in humanity. And maybe a little more European identification as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment